Although most personal assistants are female, the majority of PAs working for Members of Parliament are male.
Typical responsibilities of the job include:
• Answering telephone calls
• Maintaining diaries
• Arranging appointments
• Taking messages
• Typing/word processing
• Filing; organising meetings
• Using a variety of software packages
• Booking transport and accommodation
• Managing databases; handling correspondence
• Implementing and maintaining procedures/administrative systems
• Liaising with staff, suppliers and clients
• Preparing letters, presentations and reports.
The work offers excellent scope for promotion into senior PA/administrative positions, or for moves into similar areas of employment, such as marketing, human resources and public relations. There are many similarities with the work of secretaries.
Key skills for PAs
• Good interpersonal skills
• Organisational skills
• Communication skills
• IT skills
• Secretarial skills.